[Gluster-devel] Possible Performance Tweak for unfsd Users

Shehjar Tikoo shehjart at gluster.com
Wed Jan 6 15:46:03 UTC 2010

Gordan Bobic wrote:
> I can't figure out why this might be the case, but it would appear
> that when unfsd is bound to a custom port and not registered with
> portmap, the performance is massively improved.
>
> I changed my init.d/unfsd script as follows, in the start option:
>
> - /usr/sbin/unfsd -i ${pidfile} + /usr/sbin/unfsd -e /etc/uexports
> -i ${pidfile} -m 12049 -n 12049 -p

How was your experience with LD_PRELOADed booster instead of going
through a FUSE mountpoint?

> cat /etc/uexports /home           10.2.0.0/16(rw,insecure)
>
> On the client side I am mounting with:
>
> server:/home  /home  nfs
> defaults,nolock,hard,noatime,proto=udp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,port=12049,mountport=12049
>  0 0

You're using UDP. Are you sure NFS client did not default to TCP
earlier when you were not specifying non-default ports?

> All of the horrible latency and laggyness is completely gone! Could
> it be that it is unfsd's interraction with rpc/portmap/mountd that
> is the cause of a lot of the performance issues?

unfsd only needs to register with portmap once when it starts so I
dont think that is the reason.

-Shehjar