[Gluster-devel] Possible Performance Tweak for unfsd Users

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Jan 6 13:20:42 UTC 2010

I can't figure out why this might be the case, but it would appear that
when unfsd is bound to a custom port and not registered with portmap,
the performance is massively improved.

I changed my init.d/unfsd script as follows, in the start option:

- /usr/sbin/unfsd -i ${pidfile}
+ /usr/sbin/unfsd -e /etc/uexports -i ${pidfile} -m 12049 -n 12049 -p

cat /etc/uexports
/home           10.2.0.0/16(rw,insecure)

On the client side I am mounting with:

server:/home  /home  nfs
defaults,nolock,hard,noatime,proto=udp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,port=12049,mountport=12049
0 0

All of the horrible latency and laggyness is completely gone! Could it
be that it is unfsd's interraction with rpc/portmap/mountd that is the
cause of a lot of the performance issues?

I only did this to improve the performance of my non-glfs exports by
running knfsd for those, and only running unfsd for the glfs exports,
but this speed boost is quite a boon. :)

Note: know for a fact that knfsd isn't exporting the glfs mounted /home
because I'm not using the patched fuse kernel module that allows nfs
exports, even if the fact that /home wasn't listed in /etc/exports
wasn't enough (using /etc/uexports for unfsd, as per the startup option).

Can anybody confirm similar behaviour on their setup?

Gordan