[Gluster-devel] lookup caching

Raghavendra G raghavendra at gluster.com
Thu Apr 8 11:15:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Olivier Le Cam <
Olivier.LeCam at crdp.ac-versailles.fr> wrote:

> Hi -
>

> Raghavendra G wrote:
>

>>    Well, as far as I understand the problem is rather that folders on
>>    the path of the targeted file are not cached at all by io-cache.
>>
>> Did you mean caching dentries, when you said "caching directories"?
>> io-cache only caches file data. Also note that it is not a translator which
>> does metadata (stats) caching.
>>

> That's it. Metadata caching is exactly what I would like to implement but I
> haven't been able to find which part of code is dealing with metadatas so
> far.

Metadata caching is done in stat-prefetch. But that is not suitable to your
use-case. in stat-prefetch stats of dentries are stored from the period of
readdir to close on directory fd.

>     This is why accessing a file makes (quite a lot) network traffic and
>>    can introduce bottlenecks because each folder is stated on the
>>    servers before delivering the file, even if that file is indeed
>>    cached by io-cache.
>>

>> io-cache only sends stat on the file being read not to all of its parent
>> directories. I am not getting the reason you are concerned with too many
>> stat calls. io-cache (during read and when file is cached) only sends a
>> single stat call and that too if "cache-timeout" number of seconds have been
>> elapsed since last validation.
>>

> Well I know understand that I don't have to focus my attention on io-cache
> at all anymore.
>
> In order to reach acceptable performances for my webfarm (at least the same
> than I have with an NFS server), I really have to find a way for limiting as
> much as possible stat calls over the network. Stat calls introduce too much
> latency before the glusterfs client is able to deliver a file (even with
> io-cache enabled). This makes performances absolutly terrible!
>
> Note: I'm not concerned at all by file being modified by other clients. The
> frontal reverse-proxy always forwards http connections to the same webserver
> (according to the domain name), but in case of failover. Having matadatas
> caching would then __greatly__ improve overall performance in this
> situation!

Did you try with a very high cache-timeout value (say 5 minutes or more)?
Also a bigger cache-size might help.

> Hope you can put me on the right way, please!
>

> Thanks and best regards,
> --
> Olivier

regards,