[Gluster-devel] lookup caching

Olivier Le Cam Olivier.LeCam at crdp.ac-versailles.fr
Thu Apr 8 10:19:52 UTC 2010

Hi -

Raghavendra G wrote:

>     Well, as far as I understand the problem is rather that folders on
>     the path of the targeted file are not cached at all by io-cache.
>

> Did you mean caching dentries, when you said "caching directories"?
> io-cache only caches file data. Also note that it is not a translator
> which does metadata (stats) caching.

That's it. Metadata caching is exactly what I would like to implement
but I haven't been able to find which part of code is dealing with
metadatas so far.

>     This is why accessing a file makes (quite a lot) network traffic and
>     can introduce bottlenecks because each folder is stated on the
>     servers before delivering the file, even if that file is indeed
>     cached by io-cache.
>

> io-cache only sends stat on the file being read not to all of its parent
> directories. I am not getting the reason you are concerned with too many
> stat calls. io-cache (during read and when file is cached) only sends a
> single stat call and that too if "cache-timeout" number of seconds have
> been elapsed since last validation.

Well I know understand that I don't have to focus my attention on
io-cache at all anymore.

In order to reach acceptable performances for my webfarm (at least the
same than I have with an NFS server), I really have to find a way for
limiting as much as possible stat calls over the network. Stat calls
introduce too much latency before the glusterfs client is able to
deliver a file (even with io-cache enabled). This makes performances
absolutly terrible!

Note: I'm not concerned at all by file being modified by other clients.
The frontal reverse-proxy always forwards http connections to the same
webserver (according to the domain name), but in case of failover.
Having matadatas caching would then __greatly__ improve overall
performance in this situation!

Hope you can put me on the right way, please!

Thanks and best regards,
--
Olivier