[Gluster-devel] 2.0.0 Finally Happened?

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue May 5 09:35:20 UTC 2009

That makes it distinctly feature-incomplete, so not really a viable
alternative. :(

I am aware of a few alternatives, but they are all distinctly not suitable
for
my use case (WAN r/w cluster).

1) DRBD + [GFS | OCFS] - unusable for high latency (WAN) environment.

2) PeerFS - Requires a full resync if a volume is extended (imagine
resyncing a few TB over a WAN connection!)

3) SeznamFS - no master-master replication, all nodes but one have to be
read only.

4) Tahoe allmydata - last I checked it's fuse front ends (plural - not a
good sign)
are experimental and incomplete.

GlusterFS seems to be as good as it gets for what I'm trying to do.

Gordan

On Mon, 4 May 2009 19:34:14 -0400 (EDT), Brent A Nelson
<brent at phys.ufl.edu>
wrote:
> It looks young; not even permissions are supported, yet...
>
> On Mon, 4 May 2009, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>
>> On 04/05/2009 23:01, ender wrote:
>>> If you have an _immediate_ need for a fuse mountable
>>> clustered filesystem you might want to look at :
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/MountableHDFS HDFS does replication(+
self
>>> heal) well.
>>
>> Interesting, not heard of that one before. Have you used it? What is
your

>> experience of it? Is there readable mmap support? How does it compare to

>> GlusterFS performance-wise? How gracefully does it handle disconnections
>> and
>> reconnections compared to AFR? Is it _really_ more stable than
GlusterFS?