[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline

Geoff Kassel gkassel at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 7 20:56:35 UTC 2009

Hi Gordan,

> Ouch, ouch, ouch. That sounds like a monumental bodge. If somebody
> working for me implemented that kind of a "solution" for a frequently
> occuring problem in a production environment, they'd be finding
> themselves looking for a new job pretty quickly. Most likely along with
> the architect who trialed the solution before putting it into production
> without finding the problems that require such a solution. Solution to
> crashing processes is fixing the bug that causes them to crash, not a
> wrapper that gets them restarted.

Then I've got to say, ouch. Because a very similar sort of bodge (admittedly,
a touch more sophisticated than a cron job :) is what's keeping my production
system together. As I have been unable to track down the crash bug that crept
into my thoroughly-tested-before-deployment production system over the years.

(But then you know this tune already :)

That said - if you're aiming for reliability in your systems - shouldn't you
have this sort of automation anyway? Sometimes even the most reliable
software hits the unexpected.

I'd rather have the server handle it automatically (and investigate at my
leisure from detailed logs etc), then get an irate phone call at some ungodly
hour.

> The _LAST_ thing Gluster needs at the moment is more features. Lack of
> stability loses you customers much faster than extra features gain them.

Agreed.

> IMO, a top down approach merely glazes over the more fundamental
> problems. You cannot engineer quality from the top down. You design from
> top down, but quality comes from bottom up.

I think you need both approaches.

Functional tests - the top down approach - often catches what you don't have
unit or integration tests for yet. Unit tests and integrations tests catch
what your functional tests can't test for.

Geoff.