[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness - Regression test outline

Mickey Mazarick mic at digitaltadpole.com
Tue Jul 7 19:31:16 UTC 2009

Oh don't get me wrong I'm not ANTI-unit testing at all. I actually
haven't had a server daemon crash since 1.4. I'm still leaving my cron
jobs in. Try as I might I just don't care very much about the 1.5 gigs
of memory the server process is using.

My point isn't to open up a who pragmatic vs perfection argument here.
We can't really write unit tests; it's going to be up to the
developers.  What we CAN come up with is a top down approach to testing
our own setup and exposing integration problems which are going to be
more of an issue for a project of this type. I would like to see some
effort towards creating a unified way for us to do testing that will be
meaningful and ensure stability for our given setup.

As to a logging translator how would that differ from the trace? Perhaps
a more terse human-readable output.

-Mic