[Gluster-devel] Performance Translators' Stability and Usefulness

Mickey Mazarick mic at digitaltadpole.com
Mon Jul 6 09:03:26 UTC 2009

I have to start with an admonishment for both Gordon and Geoff. Come on
guys! A dev thread is not the place to rant at developers, but to look
for solutions. Please keep the complaining to a minimum and look
constructively for solutions to the problems. I too have had similar
pains doing gluster upgrades; but understand that when developing a
product like gluster there's  a stability vs feature balance that a
developer must decide on.

That being said do you developers or anyone else in the community have a
good set of regression tests that you use?

We've written our own but we're just using bash to create/delete a bunch
of files but I don't feel it's very adequate. Something from the gluster
dev team might be more robust especially if it were a binary that
performed many reads, writes, updates, and deletes to a random set of
files. It would be great to have some kind of low level tester we could
run for a few days before going live with new patches.

Thanks!
-Mickey Mazarick