[Gluster-devel] Re : how does mod_glusterfs working ?

Raghavendra G raghavendra at zresearch.com
Wed Jan 21 17:16:47 UTC 2009

Hi Mohan,
comments are inlined.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:49 PM, mohan L <l.mohanphy at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dear All ,
>
> I read about mod_glusterfs a module for Apache . I understand that
>
> mod_glusterfs is a module for apache-1.3.x written for efficient serving of
> files fro, glusterfs( i.e to speed up the access of files present on
> glusterfs). mod_glusterfs interfaces with glusterfs using APIs provided by
> libglusterfsclient library provided for glusterfs and hence can be used
> without FUSE (File System in User Space). FUSE involves context switches
> which are sometimes a bit too expensive for small files.mod_glusterfs , this
> is an apache module which lets you run the filesystem inside apache address
> space (in a seperate thread) which can greatly boost the performance of
> serving static files. Entire GlusterFS filesystem can be embedded into a web
> farm of Apache or Lighttpd web servers. This enables web requests to bypass
> kernel and access data directly.
>

> still I am not clear about this module .  can you please explain ?
>
> 1). how does   mod_glusterfs is working ? So that i will get more view .

when mod_glusterfs is loaded on apache, all the requests which have certain
prefix in the file-path (the prefix is configurable), will be served
mod_glusterfs. Please note that, for mod_glusterfs to be working glusterfs
need not be mounted in the filesystem hierarchy (hence fuse is not
necessary). For more details please refer README.txt in the mod_glusterfs
directory of glusterfs source tree.

> I want to know more about . Because  we are having small db files and also
> using Apache web server .  I am exporting db file to client machine .  where
> I have to use this module? whithout this module what is the issue?

Even without mod_glusterfs,  apache can serve the files from the glusterfs
mount. In this case glusterfs should be mounted in the local filesystem
hierarchy.

As mentioned in the documentation, the advantage of serving files through
mod_glusterfs than through the glusterfs mount point is that there is no
fuse overhead (context switches from user to kernel space and back) in case
of mod_glusterfs.

> Thanks for your time
>
> L . Mohan

regards,