[Gluster-devel] RPM / BerkeleyDB on GlusterFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Jan 13 00:31:30 UTC 2009

Brent A Nelson wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>
>> Well, I'm trying to get it working at the moment, but when I'm
>> exporting it from glusterfs I get:
>>
>> mountd: Cannot export /var/lib/rpm, possibly unsupported filesystem or
>> fsid= required
>>
>> I am using the fuse stuff from here:
>> http://ftp.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/fuse/fuse-2.7.3-2.src.rpm
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>

> Score one for actually useful error messages.  When reexporting
> GlusterFS via kernel-mode NFS, you need to export with fsid= to a number
> of your choice.  You also probably need to mount the GlusterFS with
> direct-io disabled (but you can do this on a GlusterFS mount that you
> only use for NFS reexport, so other GlusterFS activity won't lose
> performance).
>
> That, and your custom FUSE should do the trick.
>
> Note that, if you use UNFS3 instead of the kernel NFS server, you
> probably do still need the fsid, but you don't need to either install a
> custom fuse or to disable direct-io.

OK, got all that working, but BDB stubbornly still refused to work, and
thus RPM still refused to work.

However!

RPM can be made to use sqlite instead of BDB which doesn't need mmap and
seems to work OK over GlusterFS! :) And it's also probably more elegant
than loop-back mounting NFS over GlusterFS (although I still think that
idea was ingenious! :) ).

Gordan