[Gluster-devel] replicate data between 2 servers and 1 client

Raghavendra G raghavendra at zresearch.com
Wed Feb 11 17:51:29 UTC 2009

Hi Alain,

In the configuration you are using, replicate is on server side which means
servers replicate among themselves. If the server which the client is
currently communicating with goes down, client has to 'switch' to the other
server. This functionality can be provided by using High availability (HA)
on client side.

on client the configuration can be

volume client1
  type protocol/client
  .
  .
  option remote-host server1
end-volume

volume client2
  type protocol/client
  .
  .
  option remote-host server2
end-volume

volume ha
  type cluster/ha
  subvolumes client1 client2
end-volume

regards,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Alain Gonzalez <alaingonza at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem. I need to replicate data between three machines. Two of
> machines are servers and one is a client.
>
> If I change data in client, also changed in the two servers. And if I
> change any data on a server1, also changed in the other server2 and client.
>
> I have done tests with the tutorials of glusterfs, but I don´t have good
> results.
>
> Someone who can help me?
>
> #server1
>
> volume brick1
>    type storage/posix
>    option directory /home/export #created
> end-volume
>
> volume brick2
>    type protocol/client
>    option transport-type tcp/client
>
>    option remote-host 192.168.x.x   # IP address of server2
>    option remote-subvolume brick1   # use brick1 on server2
> end-volume
>
> volume afr
>    type cluster/afr
>    subvolumes brick1 brick2
> end-volume
>
> volume server
>    type protocol/server
>    option transport-type tcp/server
>    subvolumes brick1 afr
>    option auth.ip.brick1.allow *all
>    option auth.ip.afr.allow *all
> end-volumevolume brick1
>
> #server2
>
> volume brick1
>    type storage/posix
>    option directory /home/export #created
> end-volume
>
> volume brick2
>    type protocol/client
>    option transport-type tcp/client
>    option remote-host 192.168.x.x   # IP address of server1
>
>    option remote-subvolume brick1   # use brick1 on server1
> end-volume
>
> volume afr
>    type cluster/afr
>    subvolumes brick2 brick1
> end-volume
>
> volume server
>    type protocol/server
>    option transport-type tcp/server
>
>    subvolumes brick1 afr
>    option auth.ip.brick1.allow * #all
>    option auth.ip.afr.allow * #all
> end-volume
>

> #client
>
> volume brick
>    type protocol/client
>    option transport-type tcp/client # for TCP/IP transport
>
>    option remote-host 192.168.x.x   # IP address of the server ----> IP of the server1
>    option remote-subvolume afr      # name of the remote volume
> end-volume
>
> Best Regards
>
> --
> Alain Gonzalez