[Gluster-devel] error while reading from an open file

Brian Hirt bhirt at mobygames.com
Mon Aug 31 18:58:02 UTC 2009

Vijay,

Yes, I am using the same distributed-replicate scenario.

The file in the export directory does contains the correct
information, but somewhere along the line something being communicated
to the operating system by gluster must be wrong.  I say this because
the client trying to read from an open file is not getting the proper
data returned from the system calls which seems to point to a bug in
glusterfs.

I've also run into something the might be related but seems much more
serious.  A program writing to a glusterfs file will fail when you
restart You can recreate the problem by:

	1) have a program open a file on a glusterfs, write data to a file
periodically
	2) while the file is being written to, one by one restart all the
gluster servers, waiting for the previous server to come back online

At all points in time, three of the four gluster servers are up and
running, however the program trying to write data to the file fails.
This is a huge issue for any program that keeps a file open for
writing for more than a second or two.

As for the temporary files created by rsync, I'm willing to believe
they are benign in this particular situation.  However, something
seems wrong the idea that gluster would expect to have a file, try to
lstat it only to find it's not there.   Shouldn't gluster know where
the files it maintains are?  It really feels like a race condition
that will be triggered in other situations where it's not so benign.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--brian