[Gluster-devel] Minor feature request, other comments on 1.4 branch

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Wed Sep 10 13:19:10 UTC 2008

I mentioned previously that GlusterFS is currently mounting with FUSE
default options, which now include nosuid and nodev.  I've since been
hacking xlators/mount/fuse/src/fuse-bridge.c to add "-o suid" and "-o dev"
to the mount options, which works fine, but I think it would be generally
useful if a small patch could be added to the repository to add proper
[no]suid and [no]dev mount option processing.

1.4 has been behaving rather well.  The temporary backport of afr restored
write performance nicely, although I guess more recent patches have slowed
things back down, again.  Also, it does still have the "cp -a"/"cp -pr"
directory permissions issue, which seems to be related to the lack of true
ACL support.  Has someone been looking into what it would take to
implement ACLs properly (or at least to just fix the buglet)?

Also, how is the "hash" translator coming? If it's hit a few snags and
will still be awhile, would you care to share any interesting tidbits of
what we can expect when it's released (advantages vs. unify,
performance figures or impressions, etc.)?

Thanks,

Brent