[Gluster-devel] Re: NFS reexport status

Brent A Nelson brent at phys.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 3 14:08:00 UTC 2008

I had nfs-kernel mostly working with earlier GlusterFS versions,
Linux-to-Linux (except that CWD in a shell cded into the mount would
eventually disappear on an idle shell); Linux-to-Solaris had very
unreliable rm -rf behavior.  It took a lot of effort on the part of
GlusterFS developers to get to that point.

I would suggest that, if you don't get acceptable behavior from
nfs-kernel, give the latest release of UNFS3 a try.  In testing, at least,
I had it working without issue, reexporting a GlusterFS via NFS to Linux
and Solaris.  Performance was quite reasonable, and I very much get the
impression that there's less to go wrong with user-mode vs. kernel-mode
NFS, which is very hard to get right (and is probably very easy to break
with a small change to GlusterFS code).

Thanks,

Brent

PS I assume you know to set fsid= on your NFS exports, both for nfs-kernel
and UNFS3 (otherwise, you probably wouldn't have even been able to mount,
and you need to turn off direct-io on GlusterFS with
direct-io-mode=DISABLE on your GlusterFS mount options (or writes will
fail horribly, at best giving you zero-length files).  I don't recall for
certain, but direct-io may not be an issue with UNFS3.