[Gluster-devel] Excessive memory usage with 1.3.12

Dan Parsons dparsons at nyip.net
Fri Nov 7 19:42:28 UTC 2008

To be fair, I'm not even sure it's technically a "leak", it's just io-
cache not limiting itself to the cache-size setting. As in, io-cache
is doing its job, it's just doing it a bit .. too enthusiastically.

First, here's my io-cache block:

volume ioc
   type performance/io-cache
   subvolumes stripe0         # In this example it is 'client' you may
have to change it according to your spec file.
   option page-size 1MB      # 128KB is default
   option cache-size 2048MB    # 32MB is default
   option force-revalidate-timeout 5 # 1second is default
   option priority *.psiblast:3,*.seq:2,*:1
end-volume

And for my test:

[root at cpu26 ~]# cd /distfs
[root at cpu26 distfs]# ls -lah bigfile.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root employees 6.3G Aug 26 00:21 bigfile.img

Note the memory usage of a freshly started glusterfs client:
root     23972  0.0  0.0 110340  1540 ?        Ssl  11:37   0:00
[glusterfs]

Now I do this:
[root at cpu26 distfs]# cat bigfile.img > /dev/null

The glusterfs memory footprint grows at a nice rate. In just a few
seconds it's gone from 110kb to 2.5GB, way past my cache-size limit.

root     23972  9.4 61.8 2590552 2503164 ?     Ssl  11:37   0:14
[glusterfs]

This box has only 4GB RAM so i killed the 'cat' process before things
got out of hand. But, there's your test.

[root at cpu26 ~]# glusterfs --version
glusterfs 1.3.11 built on Aug 21 2008 11:26:38
Repository revision: glusterfs--mainline--2.5--patch-795

Dan Parsons

On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:31 AM, Krishna Srinivas wrote:

> Lukas, Dan,
>
> Are you sure that its a leak of io-cache? did you try by removing the
> translator and not observe the leak?
>
> What made you conclude that cache-size option was being ignored? It
> could be a memory leak by io-cache at some other place too.
>
> I tried to make io-cache memleak, but its not happening, what
> operations do you guys do to see the leak? can you see if some simple
> test case makes it leak? (so that it will be easy for me to reproduce
> the bug here and fix it)
>
> Thanks!
> Krishna
>
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Dan Parsons <dparsons at nyip.net>
> wrote:
>> Lukas, just to confirm your findings, I have the exact same problem
>> and
>> reported it about 2 months ago. Just like you, when all my stuff
>> was running
>> under 32-bit, it wasn't an issue because of the 2GB limit, but now
>> that I'm
>> using 64-bit for everything, it is a potential system crashing bug.
>>

>> Dan Parsons
>>

>> On Nov 5, 2008, at 1:05 AM, Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:

>>> upon my investigation, it seems that the io-cache translator
>>> ignores the
>>> cache
>>> size config option and on 64bit systems is can easily eat whole
>>> memory. On
>>> 32bit, it usually fails to mmap additional data due to 2GB limit to