[Gluster-devel] Need a list of as many uses as possible

Brandon Lamb brandonlamb at gmail.com
Sat May 3 22:08:12 UTC 2008

I think it would help if we had a list of all the different use cases
that someone might use glusterfs, then build wiki howtos based off
that. I will try to think of all I can here

No clustering translators
*) Single server. (n) client machines. (NFS clone)

AFR - unify / AFR + unify / data redundancy / mirroring
*) Two servers. Replicate files on both machines
*) Three servers. Replicate files on all three machines
*) Three servers. Replicate (n) copies between all three machines.
Requires unify
*) (n) servers. Replicate (n) copies between all (n) machines. Requires unify

Unify / "raid" / no data redundancy
*) Two servers. Create one big drive using free space on both machines
*) Three servers. Create one big drive using free space on both machines
*) (n) servers. Create one big drive using free space on all machines

*Other

I have only looked into mirroring my data, with 2-3 or so servers so
Im not sure what other people are / might use that isnt mentioned
above.