[Gluster-devel] AFR write completion? AFR read redundancy?

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 17:10:16 UTC 2008

--- Anand Avati <avati at zresearch.com> wrote:
> > Cool. In the case of mixed results (some success,
> > some failures), what is the result?  Anyway to
> > distinguish this from a complete success?
>
> any one success is considered transactions success.
> fixing the failed operations is part of next open()
> (self-heal).

Will self healing prevent an inconsistent cluster from
happening?  I.E. Two node cluster, A+B.

1) Node A goes down
2) Write occurs on Node B
3) Node B goes down (cluster is down)
4) Node A comes up -> cluster is inconsistent since B
is not yet available.  Cluster should still be "down".

> Any plans for such a feature?  HA is great, but so
> is error resilience/correction. :)
>
> we have thoughs of checksum based error
> detection/correction. Infact one of
> the users has submitted a n ECC based translator
> (yet to be reviewed seriously). But no plans of
> making it part of AFR.

So this ECC AFR would work on a single subvolume then?

> We are in fact even thinking of raid5 or raid6
> kind of translator which does checksum based error
> detection/recover to some extent.

Would this be a part of AFR, or a completely new
translator?

Thx again,

-Martin