[Gluster-devel] xlator uid/guid question

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Mon Jan 21 00:17:40 UTC 2008

August,

2008/1/20, August R. Wohlt <glusterfs at isidore.net>:

> Hi glusterfs hackers,
>
> I am trying to write a simple xlator similar to the fixed-id one that
> comes
> with the source code.
>
> The fixed-id xlator passes all calls through to the underlying volume and
> then mangles the uid and gid of the stat structures on the way back to the
> client, so what you end up with when looking at a mount is a directory of
> files that appear to be owned by a fixed uid.gid, but really on the
> underlying volume, they are created as the original user,

This is specifically how we want it. By removing fixed-id from your volume
graph at a later point, the filesystem continues as if fixed-id was never
loaded in history.

which can cause
> interesting permission issues.

I'm interested to know what the exact issue is. I would prefer to have it
fixed in such a way that the filesystem stores the file owned by the real
uid/gid rather than the masked value.

thanks,
avati