[Gluster-devel] Upgrade planning

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 22:05:40 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 8/22/08, Martin Fick <mogulguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am considering building several clients which will
> potentially each mount shares from different servers.  Are
> there any organizational steps that I can take to plan for
> potentially non uniform server upgrades and incompatible
> glusterfs protocols?
>
> In other words, suppose I have client foo which mounts two
> shares, one from server A and one from B.  These shares are
> not connected in any way, they will simply get mounted each
> on separate mount points.  The only thing shared is the
> client glusterfs executable that mounts them.  If servers A
> & B and client foo are on glusterfs version X, is there
> a way that I can upgrade server B to an incompatible (to
> version X) version Y and still be able to mount shares from
> A & B on client foo?

Since I haven't gotten any response, perhaps I can word the
question slightly differently.  Is there an easy way to run
two independent glusterfs mount binaries which support
different versions of the glusterfs protocol?  Something
like having two different binaries, perhaps named:
glusterfs.1.3.8 and glusterfs.1.4.1? Would I have
to statically compile them so that I do not have library
version conflicts?

Thanks,

-Martin