[Gluster-devel] How does GlusterFS handle concurent file access?

B P bajicpredrag at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 03:42:42 UTC 2008

Does GlusterFS support concurent access to the files? Other words, what happens if two diferent applications create, edit, or delete the same file in same time!?

I know that GlusterFS wrapes the regular (underlaying) file system. Does it mean GlusterFS has all the capabilities off handling concurent file access as the regular file system!?

 I found this in FAQs:
"Locking is handled distributedly across the bricks using features/posix-locks translator. Namespace locking is handled by any one of the designated glusterfsd server."

So does it mean that designated GlusterFS server is the single point of failure!?

Ialso foud this in FAQs:
"NOTE: GlusterFS only supports fcntl() locks, as FUSE itself doesn't support flock() calls."
Well, I must say that I'am totaly confused now.
--
Best regards,
Predrag