[Gluster-devel] AFR between two bricks over 3000 miles

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Thu Apr 3 18:35:30 UTC 2008

> Bandwidth is so cost effective now days I am not worried about slow links.
> I can't however with any amount of money speed up the speed of light in a
> glass fiber. : ) I understand their is not immediate fix, however do you
> have any rough estimates? Are we talking weeks, months or years?

AFR currently takes a 'synchronous' approach over its subvolumes.. i.e.
completes operations over all its subvolumes before returning. Essentially
it works as fast as the slowest subvolume. Changing this to work as fast as
the 'fastest subvolume' needs some major changes (handling some race
conditions) which are too disruptive to be introduced in 1.3.8. We are
considering bringing this 'optimistic' behaviour (as opposed to the current
'pessimistic' one) for 1.4. That is about 2 months away.

avati