[Gluster-devel] Strange inconsistencies (No such file or directory)

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Sun Oct 21 23:42:36 UTC 2007

Brian Taber wrote:
> Any help here would be appreciated.  I am trying to use a glusterfs share
> to run email (IMAP).  I am using postfix for the mail server and dovecot
> for clients.  I have 2 server accessing the same share, 1 server has the
> mail server with dovecot for regular mail clients.  Server 2 has dovecot
> for webmail.  If an email arrives, server 1 prosses and writes it.  If
> server 2 as client accesses it, it works ok.  If server 1 client tries to
> access the ame message, it can not access it.  If I login to terminal, try
> to ls or cat the file, I get "No such file or directory".  If I restart
> the share by doing a umount then mount (share is setup in fstab), all of
> the sudden I can access the file again no problem.

The standard questions here are:
1) What version of GlusterFS are you using?
2) What version of Fuse are you using?

 From what I've seen on the list, most problems of thi ssort tend to be
people using a stock fuse, not the GlusterFS supplied patched one in the
downloads section of the site.

My specific question is: Why are you using Unify when it looks like
there's only one data source (GlusterFS server)?  Unify is only required
when there's multiple GlusterFS servers that have partial file sets that
need to be combined (that's the purpose of Unify).

You might want to try stripping the performance translators and adding
them back one by one until you find the problem.  The simplest set that
is functionally the same to what you posted before should be something
like this:

Server:
volume mail
  type storage/posix
  option directory /data/mail
end-volume

volume posix-locks-mail
  type features/posix-locks
  option mandatory on
  subvolumes mail
end-volume

volume server
  type protocol/server
  subvolumes posix-locks-mail
  option transport-type tcp/server     # For TCP/IP transport
  option auth.ip.ns-mail.allow 192.168.*
  option auth.ip.ra-mail.allow 192.168.*
end-volume

Client config:
volume mail
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp/client
  option remote-host 192.168.250.1
  option remote-subvolume posix-locks-mail
end-volume

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks