[Gluster-devel] self heal makes client loop indefinately

Vincent Régnard vregnard at tbs-internet.com
Thu Oct 18 11:25:34 UTC 2007

Vincent Régnard a écrit :
>>> NB: the directory where mismatch are found has a large number of
>>> files (a few tens of thouthands). When I ls in that directory (on
>>> glusterfs mount point); it takes ages to return the answer. There are
>>> also many symlinks in that directory (about 20%).
>>> I saw a stat-prefetch translator that I dont have presently, can this
>>> help in that situation ? Is it a post 1.3.5 functionality ? (1.3.6?)
>>>

>> Upgrading to 1.3.6 avoid loadaverage increase. But behaviour is the
>> same, client loops indefinitely the same way, same log messages. And
>> doing a ls on /mnt/glusterfs mount point hangs also indefinitely, a
>> kill -9 on ls does nothing, pocess is uninterruptible.
>>

> Probleme seams to be I was mounting the GFS volume on a mount point on a
> file system not having extended attributes. Mounting the volume on a
> mouint point where extended_attrs is available seams to work better.
> Should'nt we encounter at least a warning when doing such a bad operation ?

More precision, the problem is not having the GFS mounted somewhere, but
accessing the files on this GFS via symlinks path on a FS.

For reasons I dont understand, accessing the files in /home with the
following symlinks is causing the loop problem. If I remove these links,
and access the glusterfs home FS via /mnt/gluster, behaviour is normal.

# ls /home/ -l

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Oct 18 09:51 dist ->
/mnt/gluster/home
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           12 Oct 18 09:42 ftponly ->
dist/ftponly

This looks like a symlink loop problem.

--
Vincent Régnard