[Gluster-devel] a union to two stripes to fourteen mirrors...

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Tue Nov 20 18:13:01 UTC 2007

Jerker Nyberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying out different configurations of GlusterFS. I have 7 nodes
> each with two 320 GB disks where 300 GB om each disk is for the
> distributed file system.
>
> Each node is called N. Every file system is on the server side mirrored
> to the other disk on the next node, wrapped around so that the last node
> mirrors its disk to the first. invented. The real config is included in
> the end of this mail.
>
> Pseudodefinitions:
>
> fs(1) = a file system on the first disk
> fs(2) = a file system on the second disk
> n(I, fs(J)) = the fs J on node I
> afr(N .. M) = mirror the volumes
> stripe(N .. M) = stripe the volumes
>
> Server:
>
> Forw(N) = afr(fs(1), node(N+1, fs(2))
> Back(N) = afr(fs(2), node(N-1, fs(1))
>
> Client:
>
> FStr(N .. M) = stripe(n(N, Forw(N)) .. n(N+i, Forw(N+1)) .. n(M, Forw(M)))
> BStr(N .. M) = stripe(n(N, Back(N)) .. n(N+i, Back(N+1)) .. n(M, Back(M)))
> mount /glusterfs = union(FStr(1 .. 7), BStr(1..7))
>

> The goal was to get good performance but also redundancy. But this setup
> will not will it? The stripes will not work when a part of is gone and
> the union will not not magically find the other part of a file on the
> other stripe? And where to put the union namespace for good performance?
>
> But my major question is this: I tried to stripe a single stripe (not
> using union on the client, just striping on the servers which in turn
> mirrored) When rsync'ing in data on it on a single server things worked
> fine, but when I put some load on it from the other nodes (dd'ing in and
> out some large files) the glusterfsd's on the first server died... Do
> you want me to check this up more and try to reproduce and narrow down
> the problem, or is this kind of setup in general not a good idea?

I don't think the developers would ever consider a situation where
glusterfsd dies acceptable, so I'm sure they would want info on why it dies.

I can't seem to correlate your spec files with the layout you gave a
above.  My understanding of your spec files makes it look like this to me:

Server:

Forw(N) = afr(fs(1), node(N+1, fs(2))

Client:

FStr(N .. M) = stripe(n(1, Forw(1)) .. n(N, Forw(N)))

In either case you have a problem if you are looking for high
availability, as the loss of any single node will reduce the cluster to
an unusable state (unless striping does some stuff I don't know about).
  Since each AFR is defined on the main node itself, the client doesn't
know it's actually putting files on node N and N+1, it's only talking to
N.  If N dies, the client has no way of knowing it can still read and
write from the other AFR member, N+1.  Moving the AFR config to the
client would fix this.

Maybe that's why you had the Back(N) stuff, but I'm not sure I
understand what you were trying to say with that...  Were you trying to
define the same afr share through two different servers with two
different (but equivalent) configs?

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks