[Gluster-devel] Status of new features in 1.4

Kevan Benson kbenson at a-1networks.com
Thu Nov 1 22:21:17 UTC 2007

Székelyi Szabolcs wrote:
> Szalai Ferenc wrote:
>> Does it mean that the planed features like, afr load-balance does not
>> available in the TLA repo yet?
>>
>> Is there any document about design (draft is also good) of the new
>> features?
>
> Maybe a brief explanation of the situation would be useful here. My
> college Ferenc and me are working on a project in that we would *really*
> need afr load-balancing. If any design plans would be available for this
> feature, we could start implementing it (contributing the code back to
> GlusterFS, of course).
>
> If no such plan exists, is it possible to make one? We *need* that
> feature amongst all circumstances, so we will implement it anyway. But
> if we can, we would like to do it according to your plans, so you can
> use our code instead of starting from scratch. We would like to avoid
> senseless duplication of efforts.

Does AFR over Unify not support your requirements?  It does provide a
level of load balancing for AFR connections.  The main drawback is that
files are stored somewhat non-contiguously on the disks (each server is
part of two AFR's, where it's master AFR sub-volume for some of the
files and slave for the rest).

The Wiki gives a good example of this here
http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS_High_Availability_Storage_with_GlusterFS

--

-Kevan Benson
-A-1 Networks