[Gluster-devel] Roadmap and support questions.

Hitesh hitesh at zresearch.com
Sun May 13 03:27:16 UTC 2007

Hello Francisco and Guten Tag Steffen

Wanted to introduce myself and Z Research, Inc. to you since you asked
about commercial support; Z Research is the business face of Gluster and
I am one of the co-founders and CEO of Z Research, Inc.

Z Research was officially formed in June 2005 by AB (Anand Babu) aka
"rooty" who is the CTO and myself with the goal of commoditizing
Supercomputing and Superstorage and in the process validating yet
another a business model around "Free Software", thus evangelizing "Free
Software" and promoting the fact building businesses around "Free
Software" is the way forward.

We have our roots in VA Linux Systems and our engineers were the core of
the team that deployed the world's second fastest Supercomputer
"Thunder" (Top 500 June 2004); it was a cluster of 4,096 Itanium 2
processors (1,024 x 4-way nodes), 8TB of RAM and 200TB Storage.
Essentially, our forte is Clustering and as you can see, we enabled
existing File Systems to have clustering ability instead of writing
another Clustered File System from scratch.

Gluster is a complete clustering stack comprising of components that
address building of Clustered File Storage (GlusterFS), HPC Clusters
(GlusterHPC), Visualization Cluster (GlusterViz - to be released in the
future), Database Clusters (GlusterDB - to be released in the future)
and Single System Image (GlusterSSI - to be released in the future).

Currently our focus is the storage vertical and we already have customer
deployments for GlusterFS - Stanford SEP and a very large Oil Company;
GlusterHPC also has been deployed in a number of places. Our customer
base also includes the likes of GE and Thermawave.

The business model is akin to the Red Hat business model where the
customer pays enterprise class support. We also provide full blown
professional services around GlusterFS and GlusterHPC right from
designing the solution, hardware selection, supervising integration of
the hardware (done by our partners Amax & Synnex), on-site deployment
and customer training.

Feel free to write to me if you have any queries or need more information..

Best regards & thanks

Hitesh

Hitesh Chellani
Tel: 510-354-6801