[Gluster-devel] Handling huge number of file read requests

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Fri May 4 14:18:11 UTC 2007

Amrik,
  some quick math, you have 300 servers asking for 20-40 images (avg
30) each 2MB per second, your I/O aggregate I/O requirement is 18
GByte/sec. How many servers are you using with glusterfs to distribute
this load? It would be merciless to expect a single server to handle
this kind of load with *any* filesystem. Also what is the interconnect
you are using? if you are using gig/e, you need 18 * 8 nodes to handle
this load smoothly (lower number nodes result in such a less factor of
performance).

Also tell me the pattern of usage. do all the clients read differnt
files or same file? totally how many images do you have?

Looking forward to your answers

regards,
avati

On 5/4/07, Amrik Singh <asingh at ideeinc.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We are hoping that glusterfs would help us in the particular problem
> that we are facing with our cluster. We have a visual search application
> that runs on a cluster with around 300 processors. These compute nodes
> run a search for images that are hosted on an NFS server. In certain
> circumstances all these compute nodes are sending requests for query
> images at extremely high rates (20-40 images per second). When 300 nodes
> send 20-40 requests per second for these images, the NFS server just
> can't cope with it and we start seeing a lot of retransmissions and a
> very high wait time on the server as well as on the nodes. The images
> are sized at around 2MB each.
>
> With the current application we are not in a position where we can
> quickly change the way things are being done so we are looking for a
> file system that can handle this kind of situation. We tried glusterfs
> with the default settings but we did not see any improvement. Is there a
> way to tune glusterfs to handle this kind of situation.
>
> I can provide more details about our setup as needed.
>

> thanks
>
> --
> Amrik Singh
> Idée Inc.