[Gluster-devel] Feature Idea.

Nick Clarke nick_clarke_business at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 13:25:52 UTC 2007

Hi,

I stumbled across Gluster while looking for a Linux cluster
system and instantly had a big smile on my face after a couple of clicks.  This is a great project and not a small one.

I did have an idea for a feature, not sure if it would something
for Gluster or the scheduler.

Power Save

The ability to Suspend /Sleep/Shutdown nodes (or groups of
nodes) when they are not needed.

Node states:

            - Suspend:
Do not start up until a set time for example.

            - Sleep:
Faster start up

            - Shutdown:
Longer to start up but no power consumption

Node type examples:

            Data Centre

                        Achieve

                        Live

.

            HPC

                        Render
Farm

                        Web
Server

.

            Etc..

-Timed Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown

                        7pm – 9am for example

- Rule based power saver based on node type e.g. Data Centre,
HPC node etc..

An example: A group of data centre nodes could be used for achieve
and rarely used, so they could be set to Suspend after 2 hours of no use and
only started when something is required. As their function is storing achieved
data the user would allow for a small start up delay.

- Suspend/Sleep/Shutdown when not needed.  PXE boot when needed (incoming large jobs, or
during a time window).

This would allow me and I’m sure others to save a lot of running
costs.

Nick