[Gluster-devel] What would cause this slow down?

Dale Dude dale at oc3networks.com
Sun Jun 3 23:52:33 UTC 2007

using 2007-06-01 gluster tla 2.4mainline, linux 2.6.15 and 2.6.20, fuse
2.6.5

If I have a single large copy going to the glusterfs volume the speed
can peak at 11MB/s which is ok. When I do just a 'du -sh /mnt/glusterfs'
while the transfer is happening then the transfer falls to about 300kB/s
until the du is done. Same when I run an rsync and it only is comparing
the files (hasnt started transferred yet).

Curious why a copy would slow down so much.

gluster-*.conf files below. For the client conf I was using the unify
example from the wiki with same results. Tried with the writebehind and
iothreads with same results as well.

Thanks in advance,
Dale

*glusterfs-server.vol:*
volume volume1
  type storage/posix           # POSIX FS translator
  option directory /volumes/clusterfs   # Export this directory
end-volume

volume locks
  type features/posix-locks
  subvolumes volume1
end-volume

volume iothreads    #iothreads can give performance a boost
   type performance/io-threads
   option thread-count 8
   subvolumes locks
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option aggregate-size 131072 # in bytes
  subvolumes iothreads
end-volume

### Add network serving capability to above brick.
volume clusterfs
  type protocol/server
  option transport-type tcp/server  # For TCP/IP transport
  subvolumes writebehind
  option auth.ip.clusterfs.allow 192.168.*
end-volume

*glusterfs-client.vol:*
volume client1
         type protocol/client
         option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
         option remote-host 192.168.10.10     # IP address of the remote
brick
         option remote-subvolume clusterfs
end-volume

#volume client2
         #type protocol/client
         #option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
         #option remote-host 192.168.10.11     # IP address of the
remote brick
         #option remote-subvolume clusterfs
#end-volume

volume client3
         type protocol/client
         option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
         option remote-host 192.168.10.16     # IP address of the remote
brick
         option remote-subvolume clusterfs
end-volume

volume client4
         type protocol/client
         option transport-type tcp/client     # for TCP/IP transport
         option remote-host 192.168.10.17     # IP address of the remote
brick
         option remote-subvolume clusterfs
end-volume

volume bricks
        type cluster/unify
        subvolumes client1 client3 client4
        option scheduler alu
        option alu.limits.min-free-disk  6GB   # Don't create files one
a volume with less than 60GB free diskspace
        option alu.limits.max-open-files 10000   # Don't create files on
a volume with more than 10000 files open

  option alu.order read-usage:write-usage
option alu.read-usage.entry-threshold 20%   # Kick in when the
read-usage discrepancy is 20%
 option alu.read-usage.exit-threshold 4%   # Don't stop until the
discrepancy has been reduced with 4%
 option alu.write-usage.entry-threshold 20%   # Kick in when the
write-usage discrepancy is 20%
 option alu.write-usage.exit-threshold 4%   # Don't stop until the
discrepancy has been reduced with 4%
  option alu.stat-refresh.interval 10sec   # Refresh the statistics used
for decision-making every 10 seconds

end-volume

volume iothreads
        type performance/io-threads