[Gluster-devel] AFR

Amar S. Tumballi amar at zresearch.com
Sat Feb 17 01:55:02 UTC 2007

Hi Brent,
 The need of a simple, reliable cluster filesystem is fueling the GlusterFS
developpers :)

I will try to answer your questions one by one.

1) AFR will write the data simultaniously to all the nodes (in GlusterFS term,
on each of its child nodes). It won't store data till close (), or not even
any of the two glusterfsd servers talk to themself. (Our design is such that,
each server is independent of other servers). In case of one node failure, it
still writes to available nodes, but when the missing node comes up, the
'glusterfs-fsck' (in development phase) will take care of getting a replica
of all the missing files.

2) Yes, thats the idea. When we have the opportunity to make our read faster
by reading it in different chunks, we want to utilize that. But with this
release, we are not yet having it. :|

3) you mean file locking (fnctl?) ? (because in clustered filesystem, we have
locking of namespace too)

4) Can you elaborate more on your question?

For your general question, answer would be yes :) (as we have very flexible
configuration, we can cover your needs).

Let me know what else you want to know (and if you have tried, GlusterFS
already, your feed back about the software). Finally its the users who gives
the shape to software.

Regards,
-bulde (on #gluster - irc.gnu.org)