[Gluster-devel] Decomission a brick

Anand Avati avati at zresearch.com
Sat Dec 15 01:15:30 UTC 2007

> > currently you can mark certain subvolumes as read-only in unify to do
> this.
>
> Would then the files be copied to a different brick when the files are
> opened during a "find /mnt/glusterfs"? The feature would be a little more
> than just making it read-only.

this is currently not the way it is. even if you mark a subvolume
'read-only'  in unify, it only means that new files will not be scheduled
there. existing files are still modifiable and deletable. (probably
read-only is not the right option name). if you _really_ want one subvolume
to be equivalent to mounting the disk with "-o ro", you could either

a. actually mount the backend fs with "-o ro" and still glusterfs is happy
serving it as-is :)
b. load the filter xlator in the path of that subvolume (either in b/w unify
and protocol/client, or in the server spec)

It would have to allow files to get offloaded and removed from the brick
> while still being in service. I assume the read-only would still make it
> possible to have only one copy on the decomissioned brick.

the hot migrate should address these issues.

avati

--
If I traveled to the end of the rainbow
As Dame Fortune did intend,