[automated-testing] gluster-block: Discussion regarding glusto tests

Nigel Babu nigelb at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 07:09:42 UTC 2018

Removing the extraneous CC and moving this to automated-testing@

I'm going to split this into two questions. About libraries and tests. For
libraries:
* Do you use any of the libraries in glusto-tests?
* Do you have any new libraries that will be consumed by the existing tests
in glusto-tests or a library inside glusto-tests?

If your answer is yes to any of those, you should move your libraries to
glusto-tests. If the answer is no, you can safely use your own repo for
libraries.

Now about tests. The argument that developers can test their changes
locally doesn't hold water. You can test your changes locally either way. I
will consider the argument that you can version your tests to match the
version of your code, however. That's a valid reason.

There is a tradeoff. You may want to run tests against an older version of
the repo or a fork of the repo (for example an internal repo), how do you
plan on doing that? Copy the tests to the internal repo too? What happens
if you've developed a newer test upstream which you want to test against an
older version downstream during a feature freeze?

--
nigelb