[Gluster-Maintainers] Meeting minutes: 09/06/2017 (Sept 06th)

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 15:21:06 UTC 2017

Meeting date: 09/06/2017 (Sept 06th)
<https://hackmd.io/MYTgzADARgplCGBaA7DArMxAWAZvATIiFhJgCYarBQCMCYIQA===?both#bj-link>BJ
Link

   - Download: https://bluejeans.com/s/EAySV
   - Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/205933580

<https://hackmd.io/MYTgzADARgplCGBaA7DArMxAWAZvATIiFhJgCYarBQCMCYIQA===?both#attendance>
Attendance

   - [Sorry Note] vbellur, atinm, nithya
   - raghug, amarts, jiffin, nigelb, ravi, kaushal, pranith, csaba, ndevos,
   rafi, milind, amye, poornima

<https://hackmd.io/MYTgzADARgplCGBaA7DArMxAWAZvATIiFhJgCYarBQCMCYIQA===?both#agenda>
Agenda

   -

   Action Items pending from last week
   - Amar to send changes required for Protocol changes - DONE
      - Nigel & Jiffin to figure out more about ASan builds - DONE
      - Blog posts:
         - Amye’s note to list
         <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2017-August/002990.html>
         - Not much action seen here
         - How to increase content/traction?
      -

   patch https://review.gluster.org/#/c/17985/
   - Need more feedback from other maintainers
      - 15days deadline was proposed, 7 days more pending
      - client stack is discussed, concern on brick xlator stack.
      - Reminder to be sent mid-way.
   -

   Meeting timings
   - Some conflicts with the current time since last month as RedHat moved
      its program call around same time, where many of maintainers are
also part.
      - What other times are possible?
      - We can continue to use this for another 2 months till October, but
      after that surely need a change which doesn’t conflict.
      - For future, we recommend maintainers to consider this slot before
      agreeing for a recurring meeting at your company, so we can keep
this slot
      static.
      - [NigelB] Can we keep the time same and change the day.
      - [Amye] Happy to read the notes later
   -

   Any more discussion required on review/patch etiquette?
   - Jeff’s email
      <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2017-August/003123.html>
      - Amar’s reply
      <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/maintainers/2017-August/003125.html>
      - Any more comments? Suggestions for improvements?
      - [Ndevos] Need to have a bug-id instead of RFC if they are indeed a
      bugfix. Helps a lot with tracking because many of our users are
still using
      bugzilla to track bugs. (Or GitHub Issues, but something trackable.)
      - [Amar] Send the approach to the problem in email if not many are
      reviewing.
      - [ndevos] can the review comment on merged patches valid in
      experimental? [Amar] yes, absolutely.
   -

   Fixing patch dependency
   - Requires a Submit-Type
      <https://review.gluster.org/Documentation/project-configuration.html#submit_type>
change
      preferably to Rebase-If-Necessary.
      - We’ve had this conversation before
      <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2016-September/050874.html>
       and recently
      <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-May/052796.html>
      .
      - What happens if we adopt the Rebase-If-Necessary submit type:
         - No more metadata flags added by Gerrit other than “Change-Id”
         and “Signed-Off-On”
         - Submit button for dependent patches will be greyed out.
      - [ndevos] clickable change-id is good enough.
      - [nigelb] verify that who-wrote-glusterfs will work post this change.
      - Stats: https://gerritstats-demo.firebaseapp.com/
   -

   Summit - October 27th and 28th
   - Gluster 4.0 - Release leads, life cycle, EOL
      - Discuss: What are the things we need next, to call it Gluster 5.0 ?
      Time bound? Feature Bound? etc.
      - Release Management Review (what’s working and what needs to be
      better)
      - Infra Planning - What does the community need that we’re not
      supporting
         - Should we do a survey? Do we know what community needs?
      -

   Gluster 4.0 - Status check
   - GD2 (must have)
         - Minor hackathon @ BLR office. Changes explained.
            - Mail sent out to community - URL
            <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-September/053611.html>
         - Did a demo aimed at developers - URL
         <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-September/053612.html>
         - Plan is to have *lot* done by summit.
         - [Rafi] What is ‘must have’? should it have snapshots etc?
            - Yes, all feature in GD1 should be available
         - Protocol changes (should have)
         - Email sent - URL
         <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-August/053462.html>,
         need action further
      - gfproxy (should have)
         - Poornima sent the email - URL
         <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-August/053515.html>
      - Error code changes (good to have)
         - Email sent - URL
         <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-September/053609.html>
         - Need a hackathon as it is a lot of code change
      - Monitoring (good to have)
         - Email sent - URL
         <http://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2017-September/053593.html>
         - Need to break up the tasks / patches in order so we can make
         small changes at a time.
      -

   Round Table (Check with every member, whats’ cooking in their domain)
   - [Amye] Please register for summit. It helps to look at funding. Also
      working on group discount for hotel booking.
      - [Jiffin] nfs ganesha ha solution(storhaug is not yet in full
      fledge) is not complete
      - [Nigel] Clang/coverity fixes should have a plan to decrease it for
      future releases.

--
Amar Tumballi (amarts)