[Gluster-users] Repost: read access to replicate copies

Vijay Bellur vijay at gluster.com
Sat Mar 12 06:44:50 UTC 2011

On Saturday 12 March 2011 02:53 AM, Rosario Esposito wrote:
> Thank you.
> I wonder if this is still true for the current version (3.1.2) since
> that message is quite old.
> It would be nice, for better performance, if a client (which is also a
> brick-server) could access its local copy of a file rather than
> chosing a random server and read it via network.

Yes, read happens from the first available server in case of replicate.
Read requests are not issued in parallel. If the first read fails, then
the requests are sent to other servers.

There is an option in replicate to have a favored read-server (option
read-child). Right now, it is not supported through the gluster CLI. The
support for it would be available in a subsequent release.

Regards,
Vijay