[Gluster-users] Replication not working on server hang

Anand Avati avati at gluster.com
Sun Aug 30 08:00:13 UTC 2009

> I'm wondering if there's some way for glusterfs to detect the flaws of the
> underlying operating system.  I believe there's no bug-free file systems in
> the universe, so I believe it is the job of the glusterfs developer to
> specify which underlying filesystem is tested and supported.  It's not good
> to simply say that glusterfs works on all real-world approximations to an
> imaginary bug-free posix  filesystem.

I would be genuinely interested to know about another project which is
geared up to be resilient against kernel hangs so that we can borrow
some ideas on how to reliably detect kernel soft lockups or syscall
hangs. As far as I know, even mature projects like Apache have not
bothered fixing such hangs (or even detecting this kind of underlying
OS flaw).

Avati