[gluster-packaging] [Gluster-Maintainers] glusterfs-4.0.0 released

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 23:55:19 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 12:33:08PM -0400, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> On 03/13/2018 11:50 AM, Amye Scavarda wrote:
> > 3. (2) expects announcment emails to a CentOS list, in a particular
> >    format (see link in email below). I normally send out those emails
> >    and have the CentOS team review/approve them.
> >
> > As soon as (2) is done, users should be able to consume the packages as
> > usual. At that time the email to announce at gluster.org
> > <mailto:announce at gluster.org> can be sent out.
> > The announcement on the CentOS list (3) might be a little delayed as
> > that depends on the availability of the CentOS team.
> >

> Possibly not the right time to bring this up, so if you folks are busy
> with the SIG work, respond later.
>
> This order of things sounds incorrect. We should be announcing this in
> gluster.org first, as this is a Gluster release, not a CentOS Storage
> SIG release!

Yes, I agree with that. But if there are users that expect to see that
packages available for CentOS, we need to adjust our (gluster.org)
release announcement. Packages will become available as soon as possible
for many distributions. Some of these distributions may take months
before they get the 4.x versions. We do our best to get the packages
available in CentOS and certain Fedora (Rawhide) releases almost
immediately, but there will still be some delay.

If there is no note about the Linux/BSD inclusion of the new version,
maybe that should be added. Each distribution will have its delays, and
for the availability the distributions update system should be
monitored. Quicker updates may be possible when more people volunteer
to contribute to do the packaging.

> I think if there is no other way around this, in the future (or as
> planned at 1AM Eastern tomorrow) we should announce Gluster release, and
> follow it up with a CentOS SIG announcement mirrored to the gluster
> channels.

Indeed! I think I CC'd the gluster-announce mailinglist on the CentOS
announcements, or I've fwd'd the approved emails. Not completely sure
though, it is not a very common task.

HTH,
Niels