[gluster-packaging] [Gluster-Maintainers] glusterfs-4.0.0 released

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Mar 13 15:32:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 07:48:15AM -0700, Amye Scavarda wrote:
> Can we be assured that we'll have things settled in the SIG by tomorrow so
> that this can be consumed?

The following steps need to happen before the packages are easily
consumable:

1. packages need to be signed and pushed to the mirrors
   This is expected to happen tomorrow morning UK time.

2. centos-release-gluster40 needs to be included in CentOS Extras
   There is only a .el7 package for testing now, I'll do a .el6 package
   today too. These packages need to be signed+pushed to the mirrors,
   which we can request after (1) in the US afternoon.

3. (2) expects announcment emails to a CentOS list, in a particular
   format (see link in email below). I normally send out those emails
   and have the CentOS team review/approve them.

As soon as (2) is done, users should be able to consume the packages as
usual. At that time the email to announce at gluster.org can be sent out.
The announcement on the CentOS list (3) might be a little delayed as
that depends on the availability of the CentOS team.

> This is the biggest complaint we've gotten out of our last releases, not
> being able to consume this.

This time round, we already placed some packages in the gluster-4.0
repositories. That made it possible to do some initial syncing to the
mirrors, so we're less dependent on yet an other task that we need to
request from the CentOS folks. The repositories have existed for a while
without anyone asking/noticing about them, so this seems a workable
optimization for next releases.

Obviously doing the releases in the CentOS Storage SIG need someone to
initiate and work through them. Currently Kaleb and I do all of these,
and we welcome anyone who is serious about assisting with this!

Any further questions?

Niels