[gluster-packaging] [Gluster-Maintainers] Release 4.0: Releasing client bits for CentOS6

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Wed Jan 31 14:13:26 UTC 2018

On 01/31/2018 09:02 AM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the gluster maintainers meeting last week, one of the topics touched
> upon was, should we build CentOS6 client packages for 4.0?
>
> The reasoning being, upgrading servers to 4.0 requires moving from
> CentOS6 (for installations on this base OS version) to CentOS7 and then
> moving to 4.0 bits on CentOS7.
>
> The same across clients would be further tedious.
>
> As a result (and based on glusterd2 not being a part of the client
> packages), should we build and release CentOS6 client packages for 4.0
> via the CentOS Storage SIG?
>
> This does not mean we run regression tests using CentOS6 clients, like
> we never ran using CentOS7 bits in our regressions till date.
>
> Packaging team, thoughts? and what would it take to make it happen? If
> agreed upon can it be done for RC0 itself?

Since glusterd2 looks like it will be packaged separate from glusterfs
we can probably continue to build and distribute glusterfs for el6 from
the CentOS Storage SIG.

And if EPEL has a golang compiler we should be able to do scratch builds
of glusterd2 packages and distribute that via download.gluster.org.

I haven't tried any of this; it's mainly a thought experiment.

--

Kaleb