[gluster-packaging] Release 4.0: Making it happen! (GlusterD2)

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 19:03:07 UTC 2018

On 01/12/2018 06:31 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> I think it will be really painful to maintain a .spec that has the
> current (already very complex) glusterfs bits, and the new GD2
> components. Packaging Golang is quite different from anything written in
> C, and will make the mixed language .spec most ugly. (Remember the
> difficulties with the gluster-swift/ufo bundling?)
>
> If GD2 evolves at a different rate than glusterfs, it seems better to
> package is separately. This will make it possible to update it more
> often if needed. Maintaining the packages will also be simpler. Because
> GD2 is supposed to be less intimate with the glusterfs internals, there
> may come a point where the GD2 version does not need to match the
> glusterfs version anymore.
>
> Keeping the same major versions would be good, and that makes it easy to
> set the correct Requires: in the .spec files.
>
> Packaging GD2 by itself for Fedora should not be a problem. There are
> several package maintainers in the Gluster Community and all can
> propose, review and approve new packages. If two packages is the right
> technical approach, we should work to make that happen.

So, I would state either way is fine, as GD2 in either approach exists
as a separate package in my eyes.

If package maintainers feel that creating a separate package is easy,
clean and also the right way to go forward, and can make the new package
appear in Fedora and other distributions by the 4.0 release (I assume
that pre-release RC builds do not have that problem), we can go ahead.

Can one of the package maintainers finalize the decision on this?

Also, the GD2 reference spec file is here [1]

[1] GD2 Reference spec file:
https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/blob/master/extras/rpms/glusterd2.spec