[gluster-packaging] Release 4.0: Making it happen! (GlusterD2)

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 07:04:45 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 1:56 AM, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY <kkeithle at redhat.com> wrote:
> comments inline
>
> On 01/10/2018 02:08 PM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
>
> Hi, (GD2 team, packaging team, please read)
>
> Here are some things we need to settle so that we can ship/release GD2
> along with Gluster 4.0 release (considering this is a separate
> repository as of now).
>
> 1) Generating release package (read as RPM for now) to go with Gluster
> 4.0 release
>
> Proposal:
>   - GD2 makes github releases, as in [1]
>
>   - GD2 Releases (tagging etc.) are made in tandem to Gluster releases
>     - So, when an beta1/RC0 is tagged for gluster release, this will
> receive a coordinated release (if required) from the GD2 team
>     - GD2 team will receive *at-least* a 24h notice on a tentative
> Gluster tagging date/time, to aid the GD2 team to prepare the required
> release tarball in github
>
> This is a no-op. In github creating a tag or a release automatically creates
> the tar source file.

While true, this tarball isn't enough. The GD2 build scripts lookup
versioning from git tags or from a VERSION file (same as glusterfs).
Both of these are not present in the tarball github generates.
The GD2 release script generates tarballs that have everything
required to build a properly versioned GD2.

>   - Post a gluster tag being created, and the subsequent release job is
> run for gluster 4.0, the packaging team will be notified about which GD2
> tag to pick up for packaging, with this gluster release
>     - IOW, a response to the Jenkins generated packaging job, with the
> GD2 version/tag/release to pick up
>
>   - GD2 will be packaged as a sub-package of the glusterfs package, and
> hence will have appropriate changes to the glusterfs spec file (or other
> variants of packaging as needed), to generate one more package (RPM) to
> post in the respective download location
>
>   - The GD2 sub-package version would be the same as the release version
> that GD2 makes (it will not be the gluster package version, at least for
> now)
>
> IMO it's clearer if the -glusterd2 sub-package has the same version as the
> rest of the glusterfs-* packages.

+1. We will follow glusterfs versioning not just for the packages, but
for the source itself.