[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Proposal: move glusterfs development to github workflow, completely

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Aug 26 08:56:26 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 11:56:53PM -0400, Yaniv Kaul wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 9:13 Amar Tumballi <amarts at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi developers,
> >
> > With this email, I want to understand what is the general feeling around
> > this topic.
> >
> > We from gluster org (in github.com/gluster) have many projects which
> > follow complete github workflow, where as there are few, specially the main
> > one 'glusterfs', which uses 'Gerrit'.
> >
> > While this has worked all these years, currently, there is a huge set of
> > brain-share on github workflow as many other top projects, and similar
> > projects use only github as the place to develop, track and run tests etc.
> > As it is possible to have all of the tools required for this project in
> > github itself (code, PR, issues, CI/CD, docs), lets look at how we are
> > structured today:
> >
> > Gerrit - glusterfs code + Review system
> > Bugzilla - For bugs
> > Github - For feature requests
> > Trello - (not very much used) for tracking project development.
> > CI/CD - CentOS-ci / Jenkins, etc but maintained from different repo.
> > Docs - glusterdocs - different repo.
> > Metrics - Nothing (other than github itself tracking contributors).
> >
> > While it may cause a minor glitch for many long time developers who are
> > used to the flow, moving to github would bring all these in single place,
> > makes getting new users easy, and uniform development practices for all
> > gluster org repositories.
> >
> > As it is just the proposal, I would like to hear people's thought on this,
> > and conclude on this another month, so by glusterfs-8 development time, we
> > are clear about this.
> >

> I don't like mixed mode, but I also dislike Github's code review tools, so
> I'd like to remind the option of using http://gerrithub.io/ for code
> review.
> Other than that, I'm in favor of moving over.
> Y.

I agree that using GitHub for code review is not optimal. We have many
patches for the GlusterFS project that need multiple rounds of review
and corrections. Comparing the changes between revisions is something
that GitHub does not support, but Gerrit/GerritHub does.

Before switching over, there also needs to be documentation how to
structure the issues in GitHubs tracker (which labels to use, what they
mean etc,). Also, what about migration of bugs from Bugzilla to GitHub?

Except for those topics, I don't have a problem with moving to GitHub.

Niels