[Gluster-Maintainers] Lock down period merge process

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 12:57:04 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 5:27 PM Atin Mukherjee <amukherj at redhat.com> wrote:

> tests/bugs/<component Y>/xxx.t failing can’t always mean there’s a bug in
> component Y.

I agree.

> It could be anywhere till we root cause the problem.

Some one needs to step in to find out what the root cause is. I agree that
for a component like glusterd bugs in other components can easily lead to
failures. How do we make sure that someone takes a look at it?

> Now does this mean we block commit rights for component Y till we have the
> root cause?

It was a way of making it someone's priority. If you have another way to
make it someone's priority that is better than this, please suggest and we
can have a discussion around it and agree on it :-).

> That doesn’t make much sense right? This is one of the reasons in such
> case we need to work as a group, figure out the problem and fix it, till
> then locking down the entire repo for further commits look a better option
> (IMHO).

Let us dig deeper into what happens when we work as a group, in general it
will be one person who will take the lead and get help. Is there a way to
find that person without locking down whole master? If there is, we may
never have to get to a place where we lock down master completely. We may
not even have to lock down components. Suggestions are welcome.

--
Pranith