[Gluster-Maintainers] Release 5: Missing option documentation (need inputs)

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 15:11:57 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 09:00:50AM -0400, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> On 10/10/2018 11:20 PM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 20:30, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com
> > <mailto:srangana at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     The following options were added post 4.1 and are part of 5.0 as the
> >     first release for the same. They were added in as part of bugs, and
> >     hence looking at github issues to track them as enhancements did not
> >     catch the same.
> >
> >     We need to document it in the release notes (and also the gluster doc.
> >     site ideally), and hence I would like a some details on what to write
> >     for the same (or release notes commits) for them.
> >
> >     Option: cluster.daemon-log-level
> >     Attention: @atin
> >     Review: https://review.gluster.org/c/glusterfs/+/20442
> >

> > This option has to be used based on extreme need basis and this is why
> > it has been mentioned as GLOBAL_NO_DOC. So ideally this shouldn't be
> > documented.
> >
> > Do we still want to capture it in the release notes?
>
> This is an interesting catch-22, when we want users to use the option
> (say to provide better logs for troubleshooting), we have nothing to
> point to, and it would be instructions (repeated over the course of
> time) over mails.
>
> I would look at adding this into an options section in the docs, but the
> best I can find in there is
> https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Volumes/
>
> I would say we need to improve the way we deal with options and the
> required submissions around the same.
>
> Thoughts?

Maybe this should be documented under
https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Troubleshooting/ and not the general
"Managing Volumes" part of the docs.

Having it documented *somewhere* is definitely needed. And because it
seems to be related to debugging particular components, the
Troubleshooting section seems appropriate.

Niels