[Gluster-Maintainers] Release 5: Missing option documentation (need inputs)

Shyam Ranganathan srangana at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 13:00:50 UTC 2018

On 10/10/2018 11:20 PM, Atin Mukherjee wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 at 20:30, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com
> <mailto:srangana at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     The following options were added post 4.1 and are part of 5.0 as the
>     first release for the same. They were added in as part of bugs, and
>     hence looking at github issues to track them as enhancements did not
>     catch the same.
>
>     We need to document it in the release notes (and also the gluster doc.
>     site ideally), and hence I would like a some details on what to write
>     for the same (or release notes commits) for them.
>
>     Option: cluster.daemon-log-level
>     Attention: @atin
>     Review: https://review.gluster.org/c/glusterfs/+/20442
>

> This option has to be used based on extreme need basis and this is why
> it has been mentioned as GLOBAL_NO_DOC. So ideally this shouldn't be
> documented.
>
> Do we still want to capture it in the release notes?

This is an interesting catch-22, when we want users to use the option
(say to provide better logs for troubleshooting), we have nothing to
point to, and it would be instructions (repeated over the course of
time) over mails.

I would look at adding this into an options section in the docs, but the
best I can find in there is
https://docs.gluster.org/en/latest/Administrator%20Guide/Managing%20Volumes/

I would say we need to improve the way we deal with options and the
required submissions around the same.

Thoughts?