[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Proposal to change the version numbers of Gluster project

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Fri Mar 16 05:33:13 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:48 PM, Atin Mukherjee <amukherj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 5:40 PM, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
>> wrote:

>>> That
>>> it is

>>> they
>>>
>>> Above is the reason I state it as well (the breaking of the mental model
>>> around this), why tie it together when it is not totally related. I also
>>> agree that, the notion is present that it is tied together and hence
>>> related, but it may serve us better to break it.
>>>

>> I see your perspective. Another related reason for not introducing an
>> op-version bump in a new release would be that there are no incompatible
>> features introduced (in the new release). Hence it makes sense to preserve
>> the older op-version.
>>
>> To make everyone's lives simpler, would it be useful to introduce a
>> command that provides the max op-version to release number mapping? The
>> output of the command could look like:
>>
>> op-version X: 3.7.0 to 3.7.11
>> op-version Y: 3.7.12 to x.y.z
>>

> We already have introduced an option called cluster.max-op-version where
> one can run a command like "gluster v get all cluster.max-op-version" to
> determine what highest op-version the cluster can be bumped up to. IMO,
> this helps users not to look at the document for at given x.y.z release the
> op-version has to be bumped up to XXXXX .  Isn't that sufficient for this
> requirement?

I think it is a more elegant solution than what I described.  Do we have a
single interface to determine the current & max op-versions of all members
in the trusted storage pool? If not, it might be an useful enhancement to
add at some point in time.

If we don't hear much complaints about op-version mismatches from users, I
think the CLI you described could be sufficient for understanding the
cluster operating version.

Thanks,
Vijay