[Gluster-Maintainers] Maintainer's Meeting on 23rd July, 2018: Meeting minutes

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Thu Jul 26 11:45:54 UTC 2018

BJ Link

   - Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/217609845
   - Download: https://bluejeans.com/s/qGMqd

<https://hackmd.io/yTC-un5XT6KUB9V37LG6OQ?both#Attendance>Attendance

   - Amar, Kaleb, Nigel, Ravi, Vijay, Shyam, Rafi, Nithya, Kaushal, Pranith

<https://hackmd.io/yTC-un5XT6KUB9V37LG6OQ?both#Agenda>Agenda

   -

   AI from previous meetings:
   - AI-1: Python3/Python2 discussion, take it to closure:
         - We now have agreed upon how it all looks.
         - Will be running tests on Fedora 28 for python3, and CentOS for
         Python2
         - AI: Shyam to update release notes - DONE
      - AI-2: Coding Standard - Clang format
         - All set to do it this week.
         - There is more work on coding standard agreement.
         - AI: Amar to send a proposal on going live
      -

   Documentation Hackathon <https://bit.ly/gluster-doc-hack>:
   - Review help needed: http://bit.ly/gluster-doc-hack-report
      - Help more, fix your component.
      - Hold another hackathon with more advance notice
   -

   Coding Standard:
   - Need to improve the existing coding standard properly
      <https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/developer-guide/coding-standard.md>,
      and point it clearly in developer document.
      - For example, one point added here: https://review.gluster.org/20540
      - More suggestions welcome
   -

   Commit message:
   - While there is a standard we ‘try’ to follow, it is not enforced. Can
      we try to get it documented?
      - Sample here @ github
      <https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/developer-guide/coding-standard.md>.
      Review it in Gerrit <https://review.gluster.org/20541>.
      - Can we bring back the gerrit URL to commit messages? There is a
      wealth of information and review comments captured there and
going back to
      see the discussions later on is becoming a pain point.
         - One way to get that is by using notes in a local repo :
         https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/reviewnotes/+/master/src/main/resources/Documentation/refs-notes-review.md
         - Also, in the repo do git config notes.displayRef notes/ref after
         setting up the notes remote.
      -

   Infrastructure:
   - Now the regression failure output comes in Gerrit itself, hence please
      check the reason for failure before re-triggerring regression.
   -

   Emails on Feature classification & Sunset of few features:
   - Have a look @ Proposal for deprecation
      <https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2018-July/054990.html>
       and Classification of Features
      <https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2018-July/054998.html>
       emails.
   - What happens to tests when we sunset components?
         - We will tag tests that map to components that we don’t support
         anymore.
         - We will no longer run tests that are not relevant to releases
         anymore.
      - What is the difference between sunset and deprecated?
         - We seem to be using them with opposite meanings that other
         projects use.
         - Sunset - We will remove it in the future.
         - Deprecated - We are going to remove it in the next release
      - Add anything more missing into the emails. Or even your thoughts.
   -

   Mountpoint.IO <https://mountpoint.io/>
   - Who all are attending?
         - kshlm (visa dependent)
         - nigelb (depends on visa)
         - amarts (depends on visa)
         - gobinda Das (depends on visa)
      -

   Release *v5.0*
   - Have you tagged the feature you are working on, for next release?
         - Feature tagging and a post on devel list about proposed features
         would be awesome!
      -

   Status update from other projects?
   - GlusterD2
         - Focus on GCS
         - Automatic volume provisoning is in alpha state
         - Ongoing work on transacation framework, snapshots etc.
      - NFS-Ganesha
         - Upcoming Bakeathon in September
         - storahug being integrated with gd2?
      -

   Round Table:
   - Kaleb: Coverity tool updated to 2018-06, 50 more defects observed
      - Possible move back to gerrit for gd2 reviews

-Amar

--
Amar Tumballi (amarts)