[Gluster-Maintainers] [Gluster-devel] Release 5: Release targeted for first week of October-2018

Amar Tumballi atumball at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 03:42:01 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:42 AM, Shyam Ranganathan <srangana at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On 07/17/2018 11:31 AM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Post release 4.1 we have announced a release version and cadence change
> > to the lists [1]. Based on this the next release of Gluster would be "5"
> > and is slated during the first week of October, 2018 [2].
> >
> > With this release of Gluster (i.e 5), 3.12 will be EOLd and that is the
> > last release in the 3.x line for Gluster.
> >
> > This mail is to solicit the following,
> >
> > Features/enhancements planned for Gluster 5 needs the following from
> > contributors:
> >   - Open/Use relevant issue
> >   - Mark issue with the "Release 5" milestone [3]
> >   - Post to the devel lists issue details, requesting addition to track
> > the same for the release
>
> Still awaiting features that are to be part of this release, please mark
> them appropriately and also notify the lists.

Proposal:

* Move thin-arbiter from tech-preview to supported.
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/352
* Wireshark for RPC 4.0
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/157
* Provide infra to classify features
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/430
* Python 3 support:
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/411

* DHT as Pass through:
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/405

For TechPreview / Experimental : (Ie, code may come in late too)

* Reflink support:
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/349
* locking using open (makes sense if users are exporting file as a disk
image)
  - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/466
* Interrupt handler in fuse
 - https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/issues/465

For now these are the things at the top of head. Will respond back with
more things soon.

-Amar

> > I will follow this mail up, within a week, with a calendar of activities
> > as usual.
>
> Calendar of activities look as follows:
>
> 1) master branch health checks (weekly, till branching)
>   - Expect every Monday a status update on various tests runs
>
> 2) Branching date: (Monday) Aug-20-2018 (~40 days before GA tagging)
>
> 3) Late feature back port closure: (Friday) Aug-24-2018 (1 week from
> branching)
>
> 4) Initial release notes readiness: (Monday) Aug-27-2018
>
> 5) RC0 build: (Monday) Aug-27-2018
>
> <Testing phase: Performance, on-demand regressions, Glusto(?)>
>
> 6) RC1 build: (Monday) Sep-17-2018
>
> <Testing phase: Performance, on-demand regressions, Glusto(?), Upgrades>
>
> 7) GA tagging: (Monday) Oct-01-2018
>
> <Final package testing>
>
> 8) ~week later release announcement
>
> Go/no-go discussions per-phase will be discussed in the maintainers list.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Shyam
> >
> > [1] Announce on release cadence and version changes:
> > https://lists.gluster.org/pipermail/announce/2018-July/000103.html
> >
> > [2] Release schedule: https://www.gluster.org/release-schedule/
> >
> > [3] Release milestone: https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/milestone/7

Amar Tumballi (amarts)