[Gluster-Maintainers] [gluster-packaging] Release 4.0: Releasing client bits for CentOS6

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Jan 31 14:42:48 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 09:13:26AM -0500, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
> On 01/31/2018 09:02 AM, Shyam Ranganathan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the gluster maintainers meeting last week, one of the topics touched
> > upon was, should we build CentOS6 client packages for 4.0?
> >
> > The reasoning being, upgrading servers to 4.0 requires moving from
> > CentOS6 (for installations on this base OS version) to CentOS7 and then
> > moving to 4.0 bits on CentOS7.
> >
> > The same across clients would be further tedious.
> >
> > As a result (and based on glusterd2 not being a part of the client
> > packages), should we build and release CentOS6 client packages for 4.0
> > via the CentOS Storage SIG?
> >
> > This does not mean we run regression tests using CentOS6 clients, like
> > we never ran using CentOS7 bits in our regressions till date.
> >
> > Packaging team, thoughts? and what would it take to make it happen? If
> > agreed upon can it be done for RC0 itself?
>
> Since glusterd2 looks like it will be packaged separate from glusterfs
> we can probably continue to build and distribute glusterfs for el6 from
> the CentOS Storage SIG.

This can easily be done if there would be a --without-server ./configure
option. At the moment that does not exist yet, so I prefer to wait with
building the packages for CentOS-6 (otherwise users will likely expect
to see glusterfs-server around).

> And if EPEL has a golang compiler we should be able to do scratch builds
> of glusterd2 packages and distribute that via download.gluster.org.

I suggest to only do this when users ask for a glusterfs-server on
CentOS-6, and they have a good reason not to move to CentOS-7.

Niels