[Gluster-Maintainers] Maintainer Meeting minutes - Jan 10th, 2018
atumball at redhat.com
Wed Jan 10 17:33:53 UTC 2018
The first maintainers' meeting of the year 2018 went well, and there were
discussion and participation till the last minute. I hope more maintainers
join regularly to this meeting, and make it easier to take decisions.
- Bridge: https://bluejeans.com/205933580
- Download: https://bluejeans.com/s/LgtTV
- [Sorry Note] Misc, Amye, Atin (conflicting meeting), Ravi
- Amar, Nigel, Shyam, Kaleb, Nithya, Kotresh, Csaba, Xavi, Kaushal,
Aravinda, Raghavendra G
4.0 ? Are we good to branch?
GD2 : Not a blocker as it is continuing in another repo
- [Kaushal] Aravinda’s Volgen is in. Helps with different volume
- Should also help to get rebalance and heal commands.
- Planning to have a release this week.
- Upstream glusterfs master works with GD2 (or GD2 works with
- [Shyam] RC release packaging requirement? What do we need?
- [kshlm] Need golang on build system. Some more changes in
Makefile and build scripts. Other than that don’t see much
issues with RPM
- Building tarball with all dependencies also may be needed.
- Tarball will contain all dependencies. Fedora may have issues.
Have to check with Niels about CentOS.
- AI: Shyam to start mailthread about this with package
- Need a quickstart guide - Current guide
Present. Need some more data there. And feedback.
- [kshlm] provide recovery steps for whole cluster goes down.
- [Amar] Need a release and quickstart guide on priority.
- [Shyam] A week after branching is good time
[Atin] Changes for making GD2 understand options across all the
xlators are not yet complete. Would that become a blocker for branch out?
- [Shyam] Is it blocker? Looks like it is not blocker, may be allowed
to be bug fix post branching. But loosing momentum is a concern.
- [kshlm] Fine with it as its only GD2 which consumes it.
- AI: Shyam to mention it in email about 4.0 branching.
Protocol : Plumbing done, regression failures being debugged. Need
another week to have it ready. (See https://review.gluster.org/19098.)
- From today, not after branching
- AI: check with Wireshark changes need to be done by 4.0 release
- No need to define futurist fops now.
CentOS6 support in 4.0?
- [Kaleb] Concerns with Python/GoLang issues, mostly
- [Kshlm] gd2 doesn’t build on centos6. may work on epel.
- [Nigel] We are ready to move to centos7 on regression. No
dependency on centos6.
- [Shyam] Is there a concern from centos SIG? [Kaleb] No.
- This is a community question.
- AI: Need to be checked with community and any downstream
concerns for people.
NetBSD support in 4.0?
Other features as tracked in the github lane for 4.0 [Shyam]
- 35 open, 11 closed. Please update.
- Check the milestone link here
- AI: need to send a mail as not everyone concerned are present.
Review focus for patches targetted for 4.0 [Shyam]
- AI: To send a email to start focused reviews.
- Surely need focused effort here, with priority.
Kaushal is speaking at FOSDEM and DevConf - 2018 about Gluster-4.0
- Will reach out for reviews of presentation
Current failures of centos6 regression failure?
- [Kaleb] Random failures happening right now
- [Jdarcy] Can you paste the link? Here
- [Nithya] Is it rebased after ssl revert?
- [Aravinda & Kotresh] There were failures on geo-rep test cases, and
now mostly fixed. Thanks to Nigel.
- [Nithya] Is it timing related? has the spectre & meltdown patches
gone in ? [Nigel] Yes, they are all updated.
- [Kaleb] Patch is just about linking libraries (in makefile), but no
code change. Treat it as showstopper, for branching.
- [RaghuG] See some ABORT errors [NigelB] All of them were about
timeout, bumped up the timeout.
- [Nigel] AI: Can consider changing the provider.
Upcoming infra changes
- [Nigel] Background story: to be short, no more funding from current
provider, and is costlier for the requirement we have.
- We’re working on moving from a static infra to dynamic test
- We’re also switching providers. Currently evaluating new providers
- This move will help us create nodes for chunked regressions
on-demand and throw them out after the job is done.
- The test framework and how we log test failures will undergo
significant changes due to this.
- I will be pinging some maintainers this week to debug test failures.
- NFS failures currently (2 of them) jdarcy to take a look at gNFS.
- This is the time to talk about NetBSD and our future support for
- Again, a community call.
- [Jdarcy] when was the last time we heard from Emmanuel?
[Someone] At least a year?
- Looks like freebsd is similar with compatibility issues compared
to netbsd. In that case, please go for it.
- [Shyam] Who would be maintainer if we move to freebsd?
- Treat it as best effort? Get help from community?
- Console output is a current issue of moving to new provider.
Long term roadmaps? What is our plan?
Any further comments?
- AI: take it to mailing list, and Nigel is happy to do it [image:
FYI, Launchpad build farm is offline. No ETA for when it will return.
Ubuntu 3.10.9 packages are queued to be built as soon as it returns online
- AI: Shyam to start mailthread about this with package maintainers.
- [Nigel] AI: Can consider changing the provider. Also talk about
- AI: check with Wireshark changes need to be done by 4.0 release (after
the protocol change)
- AI: Need to be checked with community and any downstream concerns for
people, for retiring support for centos6.
I already see Jeff Darcy acting on one of the action item to check the
back-trace of a failed regression! Thanks Jeff.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the maintainers