[Gluster-Maintainers] Metrics: and how to get them out from gluster

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Fri Sep 1 06:57:50 UTC 2017

On 09/01/2017 10:57 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:
> [...]
> years, we have opened many bugs and also coded few things with regard
> to statedump, and did put some effort into io-stats translator to
> improve the gluster's monitoring capabilities.
>
> But surely there is more required! And some glimpse of it is captured
> in [1], [2], [3] & [4]. Also, I did send an email to this group [5]
> about possibilities of capturing this information.
>
> ** Current problem:*
>
> When we talk about metrics or monitoring, we have to consider giving
> out these data to a tool which can preserve the readings in a periodic
> time, without a time graph, no metrics will make sense! So, the first
> challenge itself is how to get them out? Should getting the metrics
> out from each process need 'glusterd' interacting? or should we use
> signals? Which leads us to *'challenge #1'.*
>
> Next is, should we depend on io-stats to do the reporting? If yes, how
> to get information from between any two layers? Should we provide
> io-stats in between all the nodes of translator graph? or should we
> utilize STACK_WIND/UNWIND framework to get the details? This is our
> *'challenge #2'*
>
> Once the above decision will be taken, then the question is, "what
> about 'metrics' from other translators? Who gives it out (ie, dumps
> it?)? Why do we need something similar to statedump, and can't we read
> info from statedump itself?". But when we say 'metrics', we should
> have a key and a number associated with it, statedump has lot more,
> and no format. If its different from statedump, then what is our
> answer for translator code to give out metrics? This is our
> *'challenge #3*'
>
> If we get a solution to above challenges, then I guess we are in a
> decent shape for further development. Lets go through them one by one,
> in detail.
>
> ** Problems and proposed solutions:*
>
> *a) how to dump metrics data ?*
>
> Currently, I propose signal handler way, as it will give control for
> us to choose what are the processes we need to capture information on,
> and will be much faster than communicating through another tool. Also
> considering we need to have these metrics taken every 10sec or so,
> there will be a need for efficient way to get this out.
>
> But even there, we have challenges, because we have already chosen
> both USR1 and USR2 signal handlers, one for statedump, another for
> toggling latency monitoring respectively. It makes sense to continue
> to have statedump use USR1, but toggling options should be technically
> (for correctness too) be handled by glusterd volume set options, and
> there should be a way to handle it in a better way by our
> 'reconfigure()' framework in graph-switch. Proposal sent in github
> issue #303 [6].
>
> If we are good with above proposal, then we can make use of USR2 for
> metrics dump. Next issue will be about the format of the file itself,
> which we will discuss at the end of the email.

How about using UDP to push data from Gluster processes?

- Signal handling only required while reloading vol file when metrics
enabled/disabled
- Push it to pre-configured UDP address(socket file), if listener exists
it will capture metrics else UDP message is lost
- Will not affect the io performance since it is asynchronous and error
is not checked by the sender.
- If metrics is lost, will not impact any data/io. We don't need crash
consistency or high accuracy while collecting metrics.
- Receiver can receive data fast without blocking incoming data and can
produce outputs in different formats asynchronously.

Usage:
- Enable metrics using volopt
- Start udp server(Metrics receiver), Example ./gluster-metrics-receiver
(socket file should be predefined say `/var/run/gluster/metrics.socket`)

Limitations:
Similar to `strace` command, running two receiver same time is not
possible. It is possible to run multiple receivers by having different
socket address for each process/pid. For example, `metrics.<pid>.socket`
and receiver will listen using `./gluster-metrics-receiver -p <pid>`

> [...]
> graph of 20 xlator, it will be 20 extra frame creates for a single fop).
>
> I propose we handle this in 'STACK_WIND/UNWIND' macros itself, and
> provide a placeholder to store all this data in translator structure
> itself. This will be more cleaner, and no changes are required in code
> base, other than in 'stack.h (and some in xlator.h)'.
>
> Also, we can provide 'option monitoring enable' (or disable) option as
> a default option for every translator, and can handle it at
> xlator_init() time itself. (This is not a blocker for 4.0, but good to
> have). Idea proposed @ github #304 [7].
>
> NOTE: this approach is working pretty good already at 'experimental'
> branch, excluding [7]. Depending on feedback, we can improve it further.
>
> *c) framework for xlators to provide private metrics*
>
> One possible solution is to use statedump functions. But to cause
> least disruption to an existing code, I propose 2 new methods.
> 'dump_metrics()', and 'reset_metrics()' to xlator methods, which can
> be dl_open()'d to xlator structure.
>
> 'dump_metrics()' dumps the private metrics in the expected format, and
> will be called from the global dump-metrics framework, and
> 'reset_metrics()' would be called from a CLI command when someone
> wants to restart metrics from 0 to check / validate few things in a
> running cluster. Helps debug-ability.
>
> Further feedback welcome.
>
> NOTE: a sample code is already implemented in 'experimental' branch,
> and protocol/server xlator uses this framework to dump metrics from
> rpc layer, and client connections.
>
> *d) format of the 'metrics' file.*
>
> If you want any plot-able data on a graph, you need key (should be
> string), and value (should be a number), collected over time. So, this
> file should output data for the monitoring systems and not exactly for
> the debug-ability. We have 'statedump' for debug-ability.
>
> So, I propose a plain text file, where data would be dumped like below.
>
> ```
> # anything starting from # would be treated as comment.
> # anything after the value would be ignored.
> ```
> Any better solutions are welcome. Ideally, we should keep this
> friendly for external projects to consume, like tendrl [8] or
> graphite, prometheus etc. Also note that, once we agree to the format,
> it would be very hard to change it as external projects would use it.
>
> I would like to hear the feedback from people who are experienced with
> monitoring systems here.
>
> NOTE: the above format works fine with 'glustermetrics' project [9]
> and is working decently on 'experimental' branch.
>
> ------
>
> ** Discussions:*
>
> Let me know how you all want to take the discussion forward?
>
> Should we get to github, and discuss on each issue? or should I rebase
> and send the current patches from experimental to 'master' branch and
> discuss in our review system?  Or should we continue on the email here!

regards
Aravinda VK
http://aravindavk.in